Current:Home > NewsSurpassing:Court orders white nationalists to pay $2M more for Charlottesville Unite the Right violence -Prime Capital Blueprint
Surpassing:Court orders white nationalists to pay $2M more for Charlottesville Unite the Right violence
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 19:22:00
RICHMOND,Surpassing Va. (AP) — Four years after violence erupted during the 2017 Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, a jury ordered white nationalist leaders and organizations to pay a total of more than $26 million in damages to people with physical or emotional injuries from the event.
Most of that money — $24 million — was for punitive damages, but a judge later slashed that amount to $350,000 — to be shared by eight plaintiffs. On Monday, a federal appeals court restored more than $2 million in punitive damages, finding that each of the plaintiffs should receive $350,000, instead of the $43,750 each would have received under the lower court’s ruling.
A three-judge panel of the Richmond-based 4th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed the jury’s award of $2 million in compensatory damages, but found that a state law that imposes the $350,000 cap on punitive damages should be applied per person instead of for all eight plaintiffs, as a lower court judge ruled.
The ruling stems from a federal lawsuit against two dozen white nationalists and organizations that participated in two days of demonstrations in Charlottesville to protest the city’s plan to remove a statue of Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee.
On the second day, after the “Unite the Right” rally had been declared an unlawful assembly, James Alex Fields Jr., a white supremacist from Maumee, Ohio, intentionally drove his car into a crowd of counter-protesters, killing one woman and injuring dozens more. Fields, who was one of the defendants in the civil case, is now serving a life sentence for murder and hate crimes.
The 4th Circuit panel rejected a request from the defendants that the court ask the Supreme Court of Virginia to rule on the question of whether each plaintiff can receive $350,000 in punitive damages, saying in its ruling that it found the state law’s language and history “clear enough to predict how Virginia’s high court would rule.”
“Over two years ago, the jury used its $24 million punitive damages award to send an unmistakable message to the defendants and to the public about the outrageous misconduct that took place in Charlottesville, Virginia. While the law compels us to reduce the award, it’s long past time for that message to be delivered,” Chief Judge Albert Diaz wrote in the 3-0 ruling.
Attorneys for the plaintiffs said they were pleased by the court’s ruling.
“Today’s decision restores over $2 million in punitive damages from the jury’s verdict, which sent a clear message against racist and antisemitic hate and violence,” attorneys Roberta Kaplan, David E. Mills and Gabrielle E. Tenzer said in a statement.
Lawyers for the defendants did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
The verdict from the 2021 trial was a rebuke to the white nationalist movement, particularly for the two dozen individuals and organizations accused in a federal lawsuit of orchestrating violence against African Americans, Jewish people and others in a meticulously planned conspiracy.
veryGood! (22479)
Related
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Pair of giant pandas on their way from China to San Diego Zoo under conservation partnership
- 'She nearly made it out': Police find body believed to be missing San Diego hiker
- Christina Applegate's 13-year-old daughter Sadie diagnosed with POTS: 'I was in a lot of pain'
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- North Carolina party recognition for groups seeking RFK Jr., West on ballot stopped for now
- RHOA's Kandi Burruss Reveals Why Using Ozempic Left Her Feeling Depressed
- Historic Midwest floods swamp rivers; it's so hot Lincoln melted
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Few have flood insurance to help recover from devastating Midwest storms
Ranking
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- NASA: Stargazers will see the 'closest thing to a planet parade' Saturday morning
- Water-rich Gila River tribe near Phoenix flexes its political muscles in a drying West
- LA Lakers pick Tennessee's Dalton Knecht with 17th pick in 2024 NBA draft
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Family that lost home to flooded river vows to keep store open as floodwaters devastate Midwest
- Wind-driven wildfire spreads outside a central Oregon community and prompts evacuations
- 2024 NBA mock draft: Final projections for every Round 1 pick
Recommendation
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
WikiLeaks' Julian Assange returns to Australia a free man after pleading guilty to publishing U.S. secrets
8 arrested men with ties to ISIS feared to have been plotting potential terrorist attack in U.S., sources said
Prospect of low-priced Chinese EVs reaching US from Mexico poses threat to automakers
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
The Daily Money: ISO affordable housing
Bill Gates' Daughter Phoebe Is Dating Paul McCartney's Grandson Arthur
How property owners and lawmakers are turning the tables on squatters